My photo
mid west, United States
A retired Government paper pusher trying to make sense of something

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I was the lucky one


"They told me Joe Frazier was through," Ali told Frazier at one point during the fight.
"They lied," Frazier said, before hitting Ali with a left hook.





I had a English Pointer once, lemon and white, with a chiseled head,deep chest, he was a beauty. Never believed in moving east or west, always north and south like an old school fullback. If something got in his way, too bad. Didn't push his way around the kennel, but didn't back down either. Only one name for a dog like him: "Smokin' Joe".
I was the lucky one because I was a young man during the so called "Golden Age" of boxing. Ali, Foreman, "Irish" Jerry Quarry , Little Red Lopez, and my favorite Joe Frazier. It was also the time when all sports began to morph into show business.But that's a rant for another time. Joe was a workman, skilled at his craft and did his talking with action not words.Ali was a peacock, a side show barker, but no one could take him. That is until Smokin Joe. And a legend , as they say, was born.
Today's ultimate fighting looks more like a parking lot brawl. The position these guys end up in are quite frankly embarrassing to see. Maybe you don't see boxing as I do. Part science,part art and part sport. That's fine, it is brutal and bloody, like life at times.It does have a macho tint to it. And that ain't so popular anymore.Still rest in peace Joe, you earned it. Oh and thanks.

9 comments:

  1. Just watched the Thrilla documentary, which puts Ali in the shade, as a boxer and as a man. I can't watch boxing today - it's rather pathetic - but I can watch videos of these guys till the cows come home. Indeed, I hope there is now peace for Mr. Frazier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately the true age of boxing is in the past. I remember my Dad watching boxing. A true sportsman has passed.....
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you on the blogroll!
    I know nothing of boxing except flashes from my childhood when these boxers were around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't a boxing fan, but I, too, lived in the Golden Age of the sport and knew all about the fighters. Rest in peace, Joe Frazier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're back! You're back!

    As far as I'm concerned you can write about anything and I'm happy. I know nothing about boxing, but if you tell me it was part art, part science, part sport, I believe you.

    Your dog must have been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never have been able to bear to watch boxing, but I love reading about your beautiful dog. Nice to hear from you, James.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Shelley - am a bit of a wimp watching boxing hate to think of anyone getting hurt!! But your dog.. beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post and tribute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete