
"Democracy is, first and foremost, a spiritual force, it is built upon a spiritual basis - and on a belief in God and an observance of moral principle."
President Harry Truman, Public Papers of the President of the United States: Harry S. Truman - 1951 U.S. Gov. 1966 p1063

I have never seen that quote - I can only imagine the debate/venom it would initiate today. Hope you are doing well this summer!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteMcCullough's biography "Truman" is an amazing read (i'm sure you've read it). when i travel the country on business, i always stop at a nearby presidential library to learn and experience the president in a personal light. his museum is so reflective of the man. he and his Bess are buried there (independence, mo) with an eternal flame burning, much like the hope he had for our great country.
ReplyDeletethx for your visits!
Just stumbled upon your blog. Wonderful! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteJames - Have been frustrated at not being able to comment here. So I finally chased up the error message, reset my cookie thingie (practically easier to go bake some), and I'm trying this out to see if it works. Fingers crossed! Hope you are well!
ReplyDelete