
Ethan and I are splitting a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. Comfort food for young and old on a cold, dreary Rust Belt day. I have a favorite saying from Larry McMurtry, "Old age don't fit me". In so many ways it's true. You wake up one morning and realize you aren't going to die young(yes I borrowed that line too) and pretty women view you no differently than a piece of furniture in the room. The list of what you used to do you can't do any more is too long to worry over. If you let yourself you begin the road down to grumpy old manhood. So like most of life you're going to pick the horse you ride. I've gotten used to my ride. All in all it ain't bad. Women always did view me that way. The girl at the check out asked me if I was wearing Old Spice. As I waited for the Dad connection she said" My Granddad wore it, the scent makes me happy." I wasn't offended, I was happy too. The Little Rat Pack help. Watching them try to do things like I do makes my heart swell. Gabe told his Mom not to try to fix it only Granddad can fix things. That will make you smile every time. So no self pity allowed. Maybe I can't do everything I used to, but what I can, I do better(no wink-wink, nudge-nudge intended!).On this cold ,dreary , Rust Belt day I feel nice and warm inside and it isn't all soup. Crap, gotta go Ethan is chasing the cat with a spoonful of noodles telling him"Try it you'll like it".

Nobody would want new tweed when they could have old; nobody wants a beaujolais nouveau when there's vintage Bordeaux on offer; you wouldn't crave a five-year old single malt at any time. In short, some things are just better with age. Seems like you're keeping fine company to me.
ReplyDeleteVB
My Granda always wore Old Spice and it makes me happy too. I think all men should be gifted it when their first grandchild is born so we all associate that scent with grandfathers.
ReplyDeleteComforting words James...and well presented....now...catch that kid...
ReplyDeleteI think that you are doing great James....there are many pluses to getting a bit older.....that's what I keep telling myself as I'm 60 next week !!!! haha XXXX
ReplyDeleteWell furniture is the FIRST thing I notice! What a lovely little gem this is.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post James, something very comforting about it.
ReplyDeleteLovely image of you and Ethan sharing the soup :)
(Some times your blog lets me comment, sometimes it doesn't - go figure...). My Dad wore Old Spice until he got seduced by Jade East and Hai Karate (we'll not talk about polyester leisure suits, OK?). The first scent makes the happy, the other two make me hysterical! I grew up believing that there was nothing my Dad couldn't fix. Grandpa smelled like camphor and clove gum, possibly even more compelling than Old Spice, I'm not sure. If you get tired of OS, there are some other ideas to play with (!) Not sure, James, what it is you can't do any more, but can I just say don't give up on your body too easily? You might be stuck with it for still a long time - hopefully - so try to take care of it, OK?
ReplyDeleteI love this post James, I'm feeling the same from a slightly younger female point of view - we are all in this together.
ReplyDeleteCampbell's Chicken Noodle! Whenever I was sick, out came the can opener, thank you for the flashback. Sigh Jewish mothers make it from scratch, oh well.
VB- I like the tweed jacket idea, a little wrinkled, but a lot of life left.
ReplyDeleteSP- great idea,the Hospital should hand it out.
MLS- No I missed him, poor cat.
Jackie- Fine wine, my Dear, fine wine
C&C- Thank you.
Simone- Ethan and the cat weren't so lovely!
Shelly- As the old saying goes"if I'd known I was going to live so long I'd have taken better care of myself"
Tabitha- Funny what little things can trigger strong memories.
Oh James, I love the smell of Old Spice! That's what my Dad has always worn. I have always wanted my husband to use it, but he doesn't like the smell. I'm glad you don't mind the age connection. Moments that are precious and special are more important than age, and you get that.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. great grandfather and great kid! now, as for the cat... as you said we pick our horse. The cat, maybe the horse picked him. Love your posts. Merci.
ReplyDeleteOld Spice and Larry McMurtry is a winning combination!
ReplyDeleteLike Shelley, sometimes my comments do not post and my slow wit wisps into the ether of electronic naughts and ones.
ReplyDeleteI think of age as still being here, which is great! On a biological Darwinian fitness level, with spunky strong grand kids, you have all us on the first set of next gem genes beat, and to boot!
Keep on keepin' on Sir, and keep these great posts coming (please).
It creeps up on us, doesn't it? I remember my mother looking in a mirror (at age 91), turning to me and saying: who is that woman in the mirror? She never felt old.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter keeps me young....
NOTHING better than Campbells Chicken Noodle soup ....and I always, as a kid, thought that Chicken and Stars was fun. Old? I just started getting there.
ReplyDeletePink One-Perhaps your Husband will grow into it someday.
ReplyDeleteJeanne-Aelia- I believe the cat would agree.
Sara-Louise- It also wards off GNZs!
Scale Worm-I agree,any day you wake up on top of the sod is a good one!
Barbara- I know just what she means.
ADG- "As a kid"? 'Fess up you still do.
Great post - I have been thinking about ageing only yesterday and how kids make the time fly by even faster. On the upside, ageing has become less scary to me, now that little L is in my life.
ReplyDeletePS: I hope the cat survived. x
Marvelous post as always James. Time does fly dosen't it? But then they say, time flies when you're having a good time! What a sweet time you and Ethan had together - a splendid result of growing older!
ReplyDeleteThank you for coming by to visit, you're so right about those 'stolen kisses'.
Have a fantastic week,
Mimi
Well said, Mr. James! I've had similar thoughts, lately, especially after having visited my alma mater over the weekend. Everyone looked so young! Oh, well. We all move on and should find happiness in each chapter. And in my current chapter, I, too, am chasing the child trying to feed noodles to the cat!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, James - staying positive and spending time with children helps keep life in balance and proper perspective.
ReplyDeleteI love old spice and wished my husband would wear it. Love the feeling of "content."
ReplyDeletexoxo
SC
You always...always make me laugh. If you don't accomplish that, you make me cry. As for growing old and grumpy. I feel grumpy seeping in each day & have to remind myself to stop. I need grandchildren, that 's the cure! Thanks James you also made me smile.
ReplyDeletex Deb
Love this - any post that has chicken noodle soup, Old Spice and Larry McMurtry all together in one place definitely has something going for it!
ReplyDelete