My photo
mid west, United States
A retired Government paper pusher trying to make sense of something

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Open mouth, insert foot.


Ethan and I were on the way to pick up Gabe at school last Friday. We pulled in to the local "stop and rob" for some after school snacks. We parked next to a white '65 Mustang convertible. No show car, but a clean daily driver to be sure. A young
'dude" sat behind the wheel. " Are you tired of hearing that's a great car?" I asked "No I'm not, thanks. My Grandfather left it to me" was his reply. Picking up Ethan I quipped" I don't think your Grandad will leave you anything that cool, Ethan"' The young man looked at me holding Ethan,and with a wistful expression said, "I'd rather have my Grandfather" " Sorry, of course you would" I stammered as I walked away. I held Ethan a little tighter and said a small prayer my boys will remember me that way.

18 comments:

  1. Oh James, how easy it is to do and what a delightful young man to meet...I bet his Grandfather was one like you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's time to teach the bunch of great kids the fun they can have with white Mustang Matchbox cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang it. here i was, minding my own business. drinking a little wine with my ribs and baked beans, and now i'm choked up. very sweet indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LPC and Julienne: It does give hope when you meet someone like him.

    Toad: Excellent suggestion!

    jg: Sorry, I would never want to spoil ribs and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Out of the mouths of babes . . . What a wonderful young man. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. A touching truism....we would all trade the car for the person...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, I don't think what you said was too bad-- surely he knew you didn't mean any harm by it! It is so lucky your grandkids have you though, one of my grandfathers died before I was even born and the other died almost 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh James a wonderful recount, a very nice young man indeed!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice thing for him to say and don't feel bad about your comment. I'm sure he didn' take offense to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all inadvertently say thing like this...I'm sure he wasn't offended. What a nice young man he was. I agree, I'd love to be remembered like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh James,
    I do that ALL of the time !!....but, I'm sure that the young man knew you didn't mean that. ....and, my husband and I were out for lunch today and were talking about what one leaves to our children/grandchildren ( as you know, we now have a grandson ) and, we think that it's far more important to give them loads of love while we are still here ( as you do) than to worry about the materialistic things. Ethan and Gabe will have such wonderful memories of you and remember all of the good times you spend together.
    So sorry that I haven't been around for a while. I have had massive computer and Blogger troubles.....HUGE !! I am hoping that I'm back on track now but, I'm not holding my breath !! Much love. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice when a young person recognizes when we need to be humbled and can do it without being offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post James, it brought a lump to my throat....

    Thank you for your comment today, you know I always love your fashion views :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That made me teary eyed. My grandmother left me her small cottage - I'd rather have her too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how wonderful ( not the foot in mouth part) that he would say that. Makes me Smile.I always enjoy my visits to your blog.I hope you'll stop by Katherines Corner and enter the new giveaway the prize would make a nice gift for someone sweet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet thing for that young man to say. We can only hope that our grandchildren will feel that way about us one day. Not a worry for you though, I am positive Ethan and Gabe will always cherish their wonderful gramps!
    Hope you are well my friend, wishing you a super long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't beat your self up, you were being kind and funny. It like hearing that young man would rather have his grand father.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete