(Image borrowed from "Bearded Roman" by Micheal Fay)
A severe storm came through the other night. One of my old cherry trees come down across my neighbor's driveway. It was 5 AM and he had to get to work. So out came the chain saw and I got him a path down the drive.He looked around at the mess and said "Leave it and I'll clean it up after work". With a thank you and a smile he headed out. Did I mention he was in camo fatigues? You see he is a Warrant Officer in the Guard, He goes to Afghanistan in three months. Leaving a young wife,two year old son, and a new baby boy, He's moving them in with relatives next month. I went back to my house and poured a cup of coffee. Turned on the news. Got so damn mad at the sniveling know-it-alls who pollute the morning air with their opinions that I almost threw the cup at the set. I didn't learn a lot from my career soldier Dad. Real men shave every day and "Duty, Honor, Country.". Sounds corny when you say it, but not when you see it in front of you wearing camo fatigues at 5 AM. I ain't bragging you would have done the same, but his yard was cleaned up long before he came home. It ain't like we don't owe him.

I have a pantheon in my head of a small number of people who have performed for me surprising and needed acts of kindness. I still don't know the names of about half of them.
ReplyDeleteHis knowing that he has a neighbor as you are has to offer him a little peace of mind as he prepares to leave. We all serve in different ways. xoxo
ReplyDeleteAnd so much more satisfying than calling the tree guys. Thank you for a job well done.
ReplyDeleteIt's often hard knowing what to do for folks you want to help. And not always easy even when it's plain what to do. My heart leaps out for these young men and their families. I can't help being proud of you.
ReplyDeleteIt is these simple acts of kindness that make the world a better place! I am inspired!
ReplyDeleteThank you for doing what I would have wanted to do in your shoes. I make a point of thanking any soldier with whom I cross paths. We owe them everything. I, too, can't abide the morning talking heads. So full of their indulged selves. You said it so much better.
ReplyDeleteThank you again.
Donna
You make me smile. You really do :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's all getting a bit much isn't it, the general state of the world I mean.
ReplyDeleteToday in the UK we are having Comic Relief Day http://www.comicrelief.com/ - a TV benefit to raise mononey for overseas and home issues. This morning when I tried to explain to the 6yo and the 8yo what the money will be used for, I used the example of a little boy I'd heard about on the radio. He lives in a city less than 50 miles away: He has no bed and arrives to school tired and depressed. I couldn't get the words out for the choking tears.
My friend's son is in Afghanistan. His tour of duty is up at the end of March. She's been paralysed with fear for the last three months.
Well done you on the trees. xx
Sublime...the whole duty thing. Good on you for helping your neighbor. And good on you for not watching the morning drivel.
ReplyDeleteThank you James for your act of kindness. More of us should do the same in any way possible for these men and women who serve to defend and protect us.
ReplyDeleteDecency meets courage. Not often that you see either, but nice to know that they can occasionally be found on driveways at 5am. Be well.
ReplyDeleteI travel a lot and I almost always have a military person on board wherever I'm off to. I always want to 'thank' them but don't because I would be a blubbering fool. Seriously. A military man/woman only has to be in my close proximity and my eyes tear up. I appreciate what you did! thank you!
ReplyDeleteexactly so. thank you for adding some cheer to a serviceman's day.
ReplyDeletePerfect! Thank you from a most appreciative military wife. Amongst the nicest things others have done for me have been the times when others have helped me while my husband was away. Little acts of kindness like this mean so much.
ReplyDelete